Well, I made a couple of big changes this weekend. First, I decided to forget building an entire website myself. What a colossal waist of time that would have been! Well, maybe not a complete waist as I would have learned a ton. But time isn’t exactly a resource I have a lot of. Second, I decided to not go back to using GeeksWithBlogs. So, I downloaded the latest version of BlogEngine.net and uploaded it to my hosting account.
That last part is what gave me a bit of trouble. My current hosting provider is Godaddy and getting the blog going wasn’t nearly as easy as it should have been (in my opinion of course). Below are the troubles I had and the solutions I found after much googling.
First problem was simply getting the blog to run. This is the one that took forever. Thankfully I ran across a blog by the spoiled techie titled godaddy setup with blogengine.net (step by step). He nailed the solution exactly and I was up and running soon after.
The second problem I had was adding a new user that could log in so I could delete the out-of-the-box “admin” user. Turned out (lost the link to this one) that all I needed to do was wait a bit after creating the user. Not sure what’s up with that, but after walking away for a bit and coming back, I could sign in with my new admin user and delete “admin”. I can only assume this has something to do with the session. Maybe BlogEngine.net is caching the users or something.
The last problem was with setting up the smtp account so the site could email me the comments and so the contact form would work. I did have to create an email account with godaddy so that I had a username and password to use, but it turned out that I had to use “relay-hosting.secureserver.net” instead of the one they told me to use. Figures.
Anyhow, everything is up and running now. I can now think more about content rather than starting from scratch and being possibly months away from my first post. An updated resume will probably be my first addition (you never know!).
Tags: blog, godaddy